A bit of history…
Behind the development of Master Arena, there is a handful of independent developers who are fans of first-person shooter games. Initiated by one person, the project started in mid-2013. Gradually a prototype was born, and the team has been growing in number since then.
Started with a 0€ budget for the development, the team worked for the improvement of the game during its free time (by day’s end and/or weekend). Today we are proud to have a playable alpha version in local and online ready for many PC configurations and esport.
For us, it is fundamental to release a game with a minimum of content, stable, and with high performance to ensure that the gaming experience is the most enjoyable for the new players. To this end, the game has been tested online every week for over a year thanks to our community. We have players from all walks of life, some vet Arena Shooter, and some who did not know this type of game before discovering Master Arena.
Thus, following the multitude of returns, the performance, the bugs, the multiplayer, and the gameplay are frequently updated.
We are soon coming to a version solid enough to be available soon in Early Access on Steam. But before that, we need to explain what Master Arena is and where the game will go.
What is Master Arena?
Master Arena is an Arena First Person Shooter game. The main goal of this development is to create a game that respects the identity of Arena FPS games but is adjusted by new possibilities and gameplay features.
Currently [June 2020], we worked on the core gameplay and we started the development of the advanced modes. The current version of the game is quite playable with several game modes available on several maps.
There are 6 game modes available, which are:
- Team Deathmatch
- Capture The Flag
- Free-for-all (A deathmatch mode with up to 30 players).
There are still some updates to be done on each mode, but the basics are there and work correctly.
As written above, there are several maps available for each of the game modes.
Some maps are in the prototyping stage, others are in a more advanced stage of development (it means that you can play on a full meshed map or a full BSP map).
At our current development stage, only some of the maps are considered completed. Most of the other maps will have some graphical environment updates or/and structural changes.
There are several advanced settings that are configurable in the game:
- HUD scale & transparency,
- A modern crosshairs configurator,
- Players skin colors (Deathmatch and Team Games),
- Graphics presets…
And to finish, here is a list of the features currently available:
- Dedicated servers,
- Steam players statistics & leaderboards,
- Steam success,
- Movements Tutorials!
Now that you know the game content [June 2020, Alpha], here are the future evolutions:
- Sound design: A big part here. For this alpha, some sounds are pretty basic or missing. We must expect huge changes in sound design.
- Weapons: The artistic direction has evolved which implies radical changes. So, expect a change of design for half of the weapons.
- Characters: Same approach as the weapons, a new artistic direction which means a radical change.
Well, let’s talk about the additions:
- The weapons and character customization. No need for details, it’s obvious 🙂
- The addition of core game modes like Team Arena, Domination, Freon and more.
- The addition of a replay system.
- An advanced HUD for helping to read the game more easily when casting.
That’s it. We end here this briefing about the current state of the game and the future about the “Core Arena” part of the game.
Now it’s time to reveal the future of Master Arena: Advanced modes with a dedicated perks system.
Yes, you correctly read “Perks“. We are developing specific modes for perks use. These perks are only for a tactical usage that each player will possess during the game. Thus, you could find the following advantage: Blinder, Smoker, Shield Protection, Teleportation, Healer, Slow Motion, X-Rays, Gas, Freon, Ghost, and more in the future…
Master Arena aims to offer a new vision of the Arena FPS: a modern vision linking skill and tactics.